Nobody is going to read this unless you badger them.

Job hunting is pure misery. 

It certainly feels that way because every time I apply for a job I wait for another rejection letter to hit me. I see multiple posts on how people have been rejected multiple times over the past months and I relate to it. Do I want to be a part of that club? Absolutely not. But here I am. For me, it started 7 months ago when I started applying for internships. The first few rejection letters I got were from bigger companies I knew I had no chance getting into because, 

 a) I knew no one on the inside who would vouch for me. 
b) There was no way I had made connections strong enough in the last 2 months of me applying and that too in a brand new country. 

 Which brings me to the importance of Networking or as I have come to believe it, Building Relationships. Everyone would agree when I say it is awkward. Thank god I'm hiding behind a screen right? It's not an easy job to send LinkedIn requests to people you barely know because the one person who can actually introduce you to them is hardly ever online. And trying to convince someone to add you to their network through limited word count! What if you are a talker like I am? I don't know how to keep things concise. But, I'm pushing through. Over the last few months, I have managed to make some really good connections, a lot of whom were willing to talk and tell me how they did it and how I could do it. And these are people with a full-time job, people with absolutely no obligation what so ever to help me out, but they are doing it. And every time I have asked for suggestions they have been kind enough to be straight forward with me. A lot of times, the truth they speak is harsh but it is the truth. I have heard people say, "Why would people hire you knowing they might not be able to retain you? They wouldn't waste their resources", " Even though you have plenty of experience before, the fact that you are an intern now will put people off". While all this I came to accept as being fair, it still is disappointing. But, I still continue to apply, I still continue to make connections with people, all with the hope that one of these days I'd be the one on the other side helping someone just like me. And one of these days the Rush will be a real one. And a good one.

Oh and I forget to mention. It also makes you modest as fuck! (I also think it's because you have nothing. Haha. The joke is always on me!)

Comments

Popular Posts