summer of 2010-part1

Summer of 2010: unforgettable!!

Why??

For various reasons...but the most important...the death of my granny...i’ll take you back to the day...

May 3rd: my last article was posted...my birthday!! Both my grandparents were seriously ill.

May 4th: my final examinations began.

May 5th: the day my gran lost her battle... preparations for Kannada was on and surprisingly i studied in my grans room. She had a bell next to her in case she needed any of us. She rang the bell quite a few times and complained of having seen a snake in the room. She appeared to be hallucinating. I left the room for some time and Google the symptoms of the terminal stages for cancer. And I came across what’s called the “DEATHLY HALLUCINATIONS”. Apparently cancer patients always complain of seeing things invisible to others eyes and are often seen talking to the space. And most of the time it so happens that they die once they start hallucinating. Well...it did happen...she was gone in a few hours. 8.45 To be precise. I spoke to her last. She heard me last. And then she was gone...just like that...it was hard for me to comprehend as to what just happened in front of me...she just lay there in front of me like she was sleeping..Peaceful as ever. It was after a while that it hit me. The person in front of me was the same person who had given me a hundred bucks two days ago. She was the person who knew my entire routine. She was the person who always told me that I’ve lost weight every time I came back from the gym. And there she was...not moving an inch...at that moment it felt like i didn’t know her at all.

Amidst all that I remembered that I had an exam to give the next day. But how could I study?? And then I remembered that my gran always wanted me to study well...she always thought of me as her bright lil grandchild!! And so I sat down to study...it was hard to even see the words coz they all seemed to be drowning in my tears. But I did give the exam. And by the time I went back home she was gone. I saw her for the last time in the cemetery. Felt like she was waiting for me. I came back home and went to her room I couldn’t feel her at all...she was long gone...but she still comes in my dreams...always smiling like sunshine...she never said it...but i know i was always her favorite grandchild..The lil girl who taught her English and made her watch harry potter..!! to my own personal share of bright sunshine, the woman with the warmest smile...my AWWA...i love you..!! The wish did come true...She was relieved of all sufferings...

Comments

Popular Posts